top of page
How to book online
How to use the Client Digital Lounge
How to use a flat iron.
Whether you have curl, kink, or waves, flat ironing is a great way to achieve sleek, straight hair. The key to success is using the right products and technique. Here is a step-by-step guide to flat ironing your hair:
1. Start with clean, dry, and de-tangled hair. Apply a heat protectant spray, serum, or cream from root to ends.
2. Section your hair into small, manageable sections. Clip the top section out of the way.
3. Working with one small section at a time, place your flat iron at the root of the hair and slowly glide it down the length of the hair.
4. Use a comb or your fingers to help guide the hair through the flat iron.
5. Be sure to not go over any one area more than once to avoid damaging the hair.
6. When you reach the ends of the hair, curl them under or outwards by bending your wrist slightly to create a polished look.
7. Repeat Steps 2-6 until all sections of hair have been flat ironed.
8. Finish with a blast of cool air from your blow dryer to set the style and a quick spray of hair spray to avoid fly-aways. .
How to use a curling iron
Curling irons are great to polish your hair for the day. But curling irons are not a one-size fits all.
First, choose the right curling iron for your hair type. Longer hair can use a larger barrel iron while shorter hair should stick to 1" barrel or smaller.
Second, find the correct temperature for your hair type. Finer hair needs to use the lower heat settings on irons to avoid burning the hair. Thicker, denser hair can withstand the higher temperatures but should not let the iron sit on the hair for too long to avoid burning. If you're seeing steam, then your iron is too hot.
Third, apply a heat protectant to your hair before using the curling iron.
Fourth, curl your hair in small sections. This makes it more manageable so that you're in control the entire time.
Fifth, hold the curling iron in place for a few seconds before releasing. Again, seeing steam is not good for your hair.
Sixth, use a hairspray to set your curls. Hair sprays have different hold factors. Stronger hold for all day wear and thicker, more dense hair. Lighter holds for a more natural movement in the hair and for finer hair. And what I like to call concrete in a can, super hold hair spray for special events where you'll be physically active such as prom and weddings.
Seventh, allow your curls to cool before touching them. Once cooled, rake your fingers through for a soft curl. If you use a hairbrush, you'll brush out the curl and create a wave style.
bottom of page